- BOOK NOW!
The Salkantay Trek is the number one alternative to the Inca Trail. With high snow-capped mountains, lowland jungle and a visit to the Inca site of Llactapata the trek offers a perfect mix of trekking, culture and nature.
With fewer people on the route the Salkantay Trek allows you to enjoy the natural beauty of the Andes without any of the distractions and disturbances you find on the Inca Trail
By booking your Salkantay Trek with Pacha Peru Explorers you are choosing the best. Don’t believe ? try us !
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 4650m / 15,200ft
- Walking Distance – 60.5 km / 37.5 miles
- Longest Day – Day 2, approximately 18 km/11 miles
- Coldest Night – Day 1 around 0º celsius
- Overall Difficulty – Difficult (depends on ypour level of fitness).
Acclimatization is Recommended***
DAY 1: CUSCO -MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
Today’s trek begins at the small village of Mollepata high above the Rio Blanco Valley. Following a wide, well established track we will gently make our way up the side of the valley covering a distance of about 16km /9.9 miles and climbing 1200m /3937ft. The views throughout the day are fantastic, all around us are verdant green mountains, along the path are a wide variety of native plants and flowers with birds flitting in and out and towards the end of the day we’ll see the snow-capped peaks of Humantay and Salkantay (the Savage) looming high above us.
Our campsite for tonight is at Soraypampa (4000m / 12750ft.), the nights can get pretty chilly here so it’s a good idea to put on your hat and gloves before you go to sleep.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – COLCAPAMPA
Today is the longest and hardest day of the trek but also the most beautiful. The scenery throughout the day goes from one extreme to another; starting from the high Puna covered in Ichu grass we make our way up and over Salkantay pass where everything is rock and ice and then descend the far side down to the warm and lush cloud forest below. Along the way we’ll see a variety of wildlife from the small finches that scrape by at the higher altitudes to hummingbirds and toucans in the cloud forest, there is also a chance to see Andean Fox, White Tailed Deer and Viscacha (rabbit-like Chinchillas).
Our campsite for tonight is at Colpapampa (2900m / 9514ft), it is recommended you put on insect repellant from this point on as the mosquitoes in the area have a nasty bite.
DAY 3: COLCAPAMPA – LA PLAYA
Our destination today is the village of La Playa about 12km down the valley from Colpapampa. Our route takes us along the Lluskamayo River through an area that is teeming with life and that has various coffee and fruit plantations. The scenery in this area is not as stunning as the previous day but the warmth and lush vegetation are a welcome respite from the high mountains we’ve left behind.
Tonight we will stay at the village of La Playa (2400m / 7874ft.) which is well connected and there are plenty of places where you can buy snacks and refreshments, you can also try some of the locally grown coffee. If you are interested there is the option to visit some hot springs that are close by, let your guide know in advance so that he can organise this for you.
DAY 4: LA PLAYA – HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES
Today is the final stretch of the trek before we reach Aguas Calientes at the base of Machu Picchu. The main focus of today is a visit to the Inca site of Llactapata sat on the mountainside high above. Following an original Inca Trail we’ll arrive to Llactapata by early to mid morning and can enjoy the fantastic views of Machu Picchu that we get from here.
After a tour of Llactapata in which we’ll learn about the Inca people and their culture we’ll head back down the mountainside to the Hydroelectric Station from where we’ll catch our train to Aguas Calientes.
DAY 5: MACHU PICCHU!
Waking up early we’ll take the first bus back up to Machu Picchu to enter the site as it opens. We’ll have a 2 hour guided tour of the site during which you’ll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour you’ll have free time to explore the site by yourself and if you have permits to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain. In the afternoon you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you will carry on by bus back to Cusco.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment and 7kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to Mollepata
- Return transportation by train and bus to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- 3 star hotel for final night
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us)
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 5
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries
GROUP SERVICE PRICE
- 2018 – 2019 – Price per person US$620.00 (adults)
Important: Price includes up to 6 kilos of your personal belongings to be carried by the mules (NO need of extra Porter hire!).
PRIVATE SERVICE PRICES
- 2 people US$ 895 per person
- 3 people US$ 815 per person
- 4 people US$ 785 per person
- 5 people US$ 745 per person
- 6 people US$ 715 per person
- 7 people US$ 685 per person
- 8+ people US$ 655 per person
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify).
- Under 18’s Discount: US$20.
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$15
- Inflatable Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$45
OPTIONAL EXTRAS (Need to book in advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 85.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 85.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD 80.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired (Need to book in advance)
How to book:
You can either book by emailing us or by using the Booking form on this site.
Send us your main Departure date and back up date: By providing us with a main date and a back up date for your trek (classic Inca Trail) you automatically authorize Pacha Peru Explorers to use either of these dates for your reservation. Pacha Peru Explorers within the next 48 hours (after you have sent us your booking form and confirm deposit was made) will send you an electronic receipt confirming your trek has been officially booked and also to confirm the exact departure date of your trek.
Send us your Personal Details for Booking: Your passport number and other information must be valid. Please advise if you change your passport number after booking the tour (especially for booking the classic Inca Trail as if we do not make a change in your official details, you may not be permitted to do the trek). Please Note changing passports’ numbers requires an extra fee (we are able to change passports numbers easily on our receipt but its also extremely important that we make the changes with the Inca Trail authorities)
Student rate: In order to obtain this discount you must have a valid University Student card (and be NO older than 25 YO). It is important you scan and e-mail this to us at the time of booking and that it is valid on the date you are booked on the Inca Trail/alternative trek (you will need to show the real University cardupon your arrival here in Cusco and in Machu Picchu).
Salkantay Trek 5 Days/4 Nights (Classic)
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days / 4 Nights (Classic)