- BOOK NOW!
The Salkantay Trek is the number one alternative to the Inca Trail. With high snow-capped mountains, lowland jungle and a visit to the Inca site of Llactapata the trek offers a perfect mix of trekking, culture and nature.
With fewer people on the route the Salkantay Trek allows you to enjoy the natural beauty of the Andes without any of the distractions and disturbances you find on the Inca Trail
By booking your Salkantay Trek with Llamapath you are choosing the best. Don’t believe ? try us!
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 4650m / 15,200ft
- Walking Distance – 60.5 km / 37.5 miles
- Longest Day – Day 2, approximately 18 km/11 miles
- Coldest Night – Day 1 around 0º celsius
- Overall Difficulty – Difficult (depends on ypour level of fitness).
Acclimatization is Recommended***
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
We pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 a.m. to drive for about 3 hours to Mollepata where we start ourSalkantay trek . As soon as we are at mollepata while you have breakfast the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 3 hours will be a little bit uphill to get Cruzpata where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa, our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco.
1ST DAY:Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – CHAULLAY – COLLPAPAMPA (MIGHTY SALKANTAY)
After having our Salkantay Trek breakfast we start walking about 5:30 am ,because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here.
After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach our second Salkantay Trek camping spot of chaullay or Colcapampa (3000m/9800ft).
2ND DAY:Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – SAHUAYACO (CLOUD FOREST)
After breakfast, at 6.30am, we start walking through the upper jungle crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of little brooks to reach La Playa walking about 6 hours. Today we will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits ,plants and as soon as we are at la playa place horses will go back to Mollepata on taking the same Salkantay Trek and after haing lunch we Take a local car to get Hydroelectric station to start walking 2 more hours by taking the railrodad to Aguas Calientes.
3RD DAY:Total distance: 16 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 1,600 m (aprox.)
DAY 4: MACHU PICCHU!!!
Salkantay trek important day ,We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising.
A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco.
4TH DAY:Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment and 7kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to Mollepata
- Return transportation by train and bus to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Afternoon Snacks and 3 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- 1 night hotel (Encanto Boutiue or similars) for final night
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us)
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 4
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries
GROUP SERVICE PRICE
- 2018 – 2019 – Price per person US$600.00 (adults)
Important: Price includes up to 6 kilos of your personal belongings to be carried by the mules (NO need of extra Porter hire!).
PRIVATE SERVICE PRICES
- 2 people US$ 895 per person
- 3 people US$ 815 per person
- 4 people US$ 785 per person
- 5 people US$ 750 per person
- 6 people US$ 710 per person
- 7 people US$ 650 per person
- 8+ people US$ 600 per person
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify).
- Under 18’s Discount: US$20.
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$15
- Inflatable Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$45
OPTIONAL EXTRAS (Need to book in advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 85.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 85.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD 80.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired (Need to book in advance)
How to book:
You can either book by emailing us or by using the Booking form on this site.
Send us your main Departure date and back up date: By providing us with a main date and a back up date for your trek (classic Inca Trail) you automatically authorize Pacha Peru Explorers to use either of these dates for your reservation. Pacha Peru Explorers within the next 48 hours (after you have sent us your booking form and confirm deposit was made) will send you an electronic receipt confirming your trek has been officially booked and also to confirm the exact departure date of your trek.
Send us your Personal Details for Booking: Your passport number and other information must be valid. Please advise if you change your passport number after booking the tour (especially for booking the classic Inca Trail as if we do not make a change in your official details, you may not be permitted to do the trek). Please Note changing passports’ numbers requires an extra fee (we are able to change passports num
Salkantay Trek 4 Days/3 Nights (Short)
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days / 3 Nights (Short)