- BOOK NOW!
The Choquequirao Trek is perfect for those looking to get away from the crowds or who are looking for something other than Machu Picchu during their trip. The trek takes you to the sister city of Machu Picchu, Choquequirao (The Cradle of Gold) which sits high above the Apurimac Valley.
With a wide variety of flora and fauna, beautiful scenery and a visit to a major Inca site, the Choquequirao Trek is the adventure of a lifetime.
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 3050m / 10,005ft
- Walking Distance – 64 km / 40 miles
- Longest Day – Day 1, approximately 25 km/15.5 miles
- Overall Difficulty – Difficult
DAY 1: CACHORA – COCA MASANA – PLAYA ROSALINA
We leave from Cusco early in the morning by private transport. Approx. at 5:30 we will arrive after 4 hours in Cachora (2,900m asl), a typical Andean town where we meet the rest of our trekking team. After a well deserved breakfast we start a two-hour trek to Capuliyoc (2,915m). On the way we get our first views of the Apurimac Valley stretching below and of the snow-capped peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora (5,482m). Afterwards we descend through the eastern slopes of the Andes to reach Coca Masana (2,330m). The temperature becomes higher and the flora and fauna begin to change. Finally we arrive at Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1,550m, where we camp beside the raging Apurimac River.
DAY 2: PLAYA ROSALINA – MARAMPATA OR CHOQUEQUIRAO
Again we get up very early to start, after the breakfast, our walk to reach Maranpata or Choquequirao after middday.
we will reach the archaeological site and we get to know it step by step, the great ability and intelligence which had the people who constructed this vestige which makes us seeing again the glorious time of Inca empire.
Admiring the beauty and with our heads full of ideas, we observe dauntless the condors flying, which around 3 p.m. appear in area of Choquequirao when they fly to higher zones.
Later we take a route to Raqaypata where we camp and after dinner we pass the night.
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO
This day we will dedicate ourselves exclusively to enjoy all the magic of history and splendor of Choquequirao, with a guided visit and time to know whole the site with its 8 sectors, like barns, houses temples and also we will observe the three levels of the excavated ruins of this late Inca-town, like the ruin in progress of excavation and finally unexplored areas that can tell us about this last refuge of the oppressed inca empire terraces. Again, like in the morning this afternoon we have the opportunity to enjoy the majestic flight of condors which with big luck will pass very close to you. In the afternoon we will return to our campsite to have our lunch and then rest and enjoy the quietness of Choquequirao.
DAY 4: CHOQUEQUIRAO – SANTA ROSA – CHIQUISCA
After having Breakfast we will begin to go down towards Santa Rosa, where the vegetation will become abundant and the weather hotter so then. We will continue to the sector of Chiquiska for camping.
DAY 5: CHIQUISCA – CACHORA – CUSCO
Early in the morning after breakfast we continue to climbing 4 hours more aproximately until Mirador Capuliyoq.
After that we will continue to arrive to Cachora town on hike we can appreciate again the majestic Padreyoq snow hat decorate the Apurimac Canyon.Finally we will walk one more hour towards the village of Cachora where our private transport will wait for us to take us back to Cusco rriving to cusco by 5:00 or 6:00 pm .
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment and 7kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to and from Cachora
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us)
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 5
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
What you need to take
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries
PRIVATE SERVICE PRICES 2018 – 2019
- 2 people US$ 650 per person
- 3 people US$ 600 per person
- 4 people US$ 580 per person
- 5 people US$ 560 per person
- 6 people US$ 540 per person
- 7 people US$ 520 per person
- 8+ people US$ 500 per person
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$15
- Inflatable Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$30
Choquequirao Trek 5 Days / 4 Nights
Choquequirao Trek 5 Days / 4 Nights